Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Fathers are Important!

Fathers are Beyond Important

C. Philip Slate

Recently, I came across the following item in a communication that came to my computer. The facts are there, and this is no surprise to those of us who take God’s way seriously. Father and mother both make distinctive contributions to the development of children. I care to make two disclaimers, however, lest some get the wrong impression.

It is one thing to be brought up in a fatherless home when father dies early in the child’s life. You and I likely know several people who lost their fathers to death. It is a very different matter when the father abandons the family; that hurts physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Even then, you and I likely know cases where that happened, and the strong, godly mother somehow led the children on paths of righteousness. I am thinking of a couple of wonderful men who came from that kind of situation, one a preacher who has also taught in one of our Christian universities.

The other disclaimer is that in the absence of the biological father some people have benefited immeasurably by a “substitute father.” A couple of years ago a man said to me, “Mr. Slate, if it hadn’t been for you, I’d likely be in prison by now.” I was surprised. I had done nothing special for him; he was a childhood friend of my sons who was frequently in our home. Yes, he went fishing with us a few times and a few other things, but nothing special. I had no idea what he was picking up. Had I been aware of it I could have done him even more good.

But the statistics are still there. The ideal, the God-intended arrangement is for children to grow up with both mother and father. With that in mind, note the sad statistics from fathersinthefield.com/resources/statistics:

  • 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes
  • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
  • 85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders are from fatherless homes
  • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes
  • 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes
  • 70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes.

Dads, you are beyond important! We are so grateful for all the amazing fathers and father-figures. Thank you for the sleepless nights, work-filled days, and sacrificial love!

Pass on the message! Do what you can to help married couples stay together, to the glory of God and for the welfare of their children. Men, be conscious of the ways in which you might be a “substitute father” to some little fellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment